The requirements for admission to the International Students Program are:
- Excellent grades and accomplishments at current school
- English language proficiency as demonstrated by TOEFL or TOEFL Junior score
- Emotional maturity and readiness to attend school away from parents, along with a desire for an education that includes Christian values, Bible study and learning the life and teaching of Jesus Christ
The program is selective, admission standards are high, and only fully qualified students are accepted into the program. The admission process is in three steps:
- Completion of the application
- Personal interview (in person or via webcam)
- Admissions decision by VCS Admissions Committee
The Application involves the following:
- A completed online application by the parent, guardian, or student (www.govcs.net/application). Please make sure to check "Yes" for “International Student”, when creating a new student.
- A student questionnaire, two essays, and copy of student passport.
- A financial disclosure form
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or TOEFL Junior test to show English language proficiency. For the TOEFL, the minimum score is 75, and for the TOEFL Junior the minimum score is 825. If an international student has already been in the U.S. for three or more years, he can request not to submit a TOEFL or TOEFL Junior score.
- Official transcripts from the last two years, signed and sealed. Official transcripts must be translated into English. If accepted we will also need the student's current official end of the school year transcript. It must be signed, sealed, and translated into English.
- Two Educators Recommendations and one Math Teacher Recommendation from the current school.
- Either a Clergy Recommendation or a Parent/Guardian Written Statement that shows that the parents are supportive of the student receiving a Christian education. Note: applying students do not need to be Christians to be admitted to Valley Christians Schools, but should be spiritually open to learn more about the Christian faith shown through the Bible and the life and teachings of Jesus Christ.
- Complete record of immunization, translated into English.
- Application fee of $100.
The application will not be processed until all forms are received by VCHS.
The Personal Interview is a pleasant experience when one of our international student staff speaks directly with the student, and often with the parent/guardian (if possible) for about 30 – 45 minutes. This is done in person at Valley Christian Schools or over a webcam with Skype. The interview does not take place until the application is completed.
Acceptance Letter and Enrollment Information
Following the decision for admission by the Admissions Committee, the acceptance letter and enrollment information is sent to the student. Sometimes, when the student arrives in the U.S. additional testing can be required to help with placing in the right classes or grade level.
International students are not allowed to enter Valley Christian for the 12th
grade only; they must begin in grade 11 or younger. Exceptions to admit 12th grade international maybe made if the student has attended multiple years of U.S. schooling.
VCS normally gives admissions priority for international
students applying to at least one full academic year or longer; it is unusual for VCS to accept a student
attending for just one semester.
For more information about international student admissions, contact Mrs. Mary
Abrahamson, Valley Christian International Admissions,
Issuing the I-20
Upon acceptance to Valley Christian High School, and after receipt of the International Student Enrollment Contract and Administration Fee, the I-20 will be issued to the student. This document is the basis for receiving an F-1 visa status from the United States Department of Homeland Security. Within two weeks before starting school, the student is expected to secure medical insurance and make sure all immunizations are up to date to attend school.
There are specific California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) and Central Coast Section (CCS) laws that apply to sports participation for international students that Valley Christian Schools is required to meet. International student applicants should request an athletic eligibility determination before a final decision to seek admission to Valley Christian Schools if school sports team participation is desired.
Non Discrimination Policy
VCS does not discriminate among its students, on the basis of religious belief. It does not, in the operation of its school, favor or disfavor students on the basis of their religious beliefs such that a reasonable student would assume that the benefits of the school would be more likely conferred upon him or her if the student adopted certain religious beliefs or practices. It does not impose requirements that would tend to discourage prospective students of different religious persuasions from making application to the school or students of different religious persuasions from availing themselves of the school’s program.