Identify the Goals of Each Student
Our goal is to partner with students, parents, and teachers to prayerfully identify the needs, aptitudes, and goals of each student and to provide academic and college/career planning.
In order to effectively counsel and care for students, each family will be assigned a counselor to partner with throughout all four years of high school. This will allow counselors to build meaningful relationships with parents and students. It will also enable counselors to better understand each student’s strengths and goals.
Design Your Blueprint
The counseling team provides strategic, individual, and personal academic and college planning. The following is a summary of planned counselor touchpoints for our students.
- Counselor Connects, a presentation for new families to learn about class selection and what to expect in high school
- Freshmen Fresh Start is a specialized orientation event offered in August for incoming ninth-graders to prepare for high school
- Warrior Blueprint for freshmen families to map out a four-year academic and spiritual plan based on each student’s goals and abilities
- Four years of web-based, Naviance training to assist students with the college search, preparation and application process
- Annual class presentations covering strategies for academic success, course selection, college preparation, and a healthy balance
- Annual Individual Counselor Meetings to review academic performance and post-secondary goals
Valley’s Academic and Counseling Department led our entire family through high school. Our son’s counselor calmed us and educated us in choosing ideal high school classes and navigating the college admissions process. He was the confidant and spiritual leader our son needed to thrive during high school and begin his college experience. Their friendship will undoubtedly continue.-Chris Janssen, VCS Parent
Navigate the College Process
The transition from high school to college marks a significant point in a student’s experience, and the VCHS counseling team is available to provide support, professional advising, resources, and direction. Below is a list of services designed to guide students and parents through the college search and application process.
- Parent/Student College Workshop is a Saturday event with breakout sessions covering a variety of college admissions topics
- College tours led by VCHS counselors. Past trips have included Boston, New York, Philadelphia, the Pacific Northwest, the Southern States, and Southern California
- Naviance offering students and parents interactive surveys, college search and comparison tools, college profiles with VCHS data, scattergrams of past applications from VCHS, local scholarships and aid opportunities, and much more.
- Annual class presentations covering strategies for college preparation
- Over 200 college admissions representatives are scheduled throughout the year to meet with students
- Annual Christian College Fair at VCHS
- Guest speakers on college essay writing, tips, and applying for financial aid and scholarships
- Recommendation Letters and Secondary School Reporting
- College Application and essay assistance available for seniors during the summer, optional tutorials, and afterschool
- Individual Junior and Senior family meetings to discuss college goals and to create a plan for college applications
- Sophomore, Junior, and Senior College Family Nights provide a broad overview of timelines and the college application process
- Test Prep Seminars offered throughout the year, including SAT and ACT seminars. Benchmark tests are administered at the start of the class, followed by a diagnostic test at the end of the course to evaluate student improvement
College/Career Day held in November offers breakout sessions tailored for all grade levels