Discipling curious and thoughtful Christian leaders
The VCHS counseling team’s mission is to partner with students, teachers and parents to prayerfully identify the social, emotional and spiritual needs; the interests and aptitudes, and the realized goals of each student and to provide thoughtful academic and college/career planning throughout four years of high school to best prepare students to serve God and their families and to impact their communities and the world.
Students enter high school with a freshman counselor focused on the transition to high school and supporting students with a strong, healthy start to high school. At the end of freshman year, in order to effectively counsel and care for students, each family will be assigned a counselor to partner with through the remaining three years of high school. This allows counselors to build meaningful relationships with parents and students and enables counselors to better understand each student’s strengths and goals.
Design Your Blueprint
The counseling team provides strategic programmatic education followed with individualized coaching and support through the academic and college planning process. The following is a summary of planned counselor touchpoints for our students.
- Counselor Connect is a presentation for new families to learn about class selection and what to expect in high school
- New Student Sunrise is a specialized orientation event offered in August for incoming ninth-graders to prepare for high school
- Warrior Blueprint for freshmen families to map out a four-year academic and spiritual plan based on each student’s goals and abilities
- Four years of Cialfo (our college & career readiness platform) training to assist students with the career and college search, preparation and application process
- Individualized counselor support meetings to review academic performance and post-secondary goals
Valley’s Academic and Counseling Department led our entire family through high school. Our son’s counselor calmed us and educated us in choosing ideal high school classes and navigating the college admissions process. He was the confidant and spiritual leader our son needed to thrive during high school and begin his college experience. Their friendship will undoubtedly continue.-Chris Janssen, VCS Parent
Navigate the College Process
The transition from high school to college marks a significant point in a student’s experience, and the VCHS counseling team is dedicated to educating and empowering students to take ownership of their own self-discovery and college search and application process.
Below is a list of services designed to guide students and parents through the college search and application process:
- Family workshops and webinars designed to provide education addressing a variety of college admissions topics
- College tours led by VCHS counselors. Past trips include Boston, New York, Philadelphia, the Pacific Northwest, the Southeast, and Southern California
- Cialfo offers students and parents interactive surveys, college search and comparison tools, college profiles with VCHS data, scattergrams of past applications from VCHS, scholarship opportunities, and much more
- Over 250 college admissions representatives are scheduled throughout the year to visit campus and meet with students
- Annual Christian College Fair held at VCHS
- Guest speakers addressing topics such as college essay writing tips and applying for financial aid and scholarships
- Recommendation Letters and Secondary School Reporting
- Summer webinar series and application workshops to give seniors a solid start on applications before the school year begins
- College Application and essay assistance available for rising seniors throughout the summer and fall
- Individual junior family and senior student meetings to discuss college goals and to create a plan for the college application process
- Sophomore, Junior, and Senior Family Night Webinars provide a broad overview of timelines and the college application process
- Test Prep Seminars offered throughout the year, including SAT and ACT seminars. Benchmark tests are administered at the start of the class, followed by a diagnostic test at the end of the course to evaluate student improvement
- Periodic practice SAT/ACT tests on campus in conjunction with Revolution Prep