In recognizing that each student is uniquely created by God, endowed with a variety of talents and skills, and capable of learning, we believe it is our responsibility to offer specialized programs that enable all students to reach their fullest potential.
Students identified as having cognitive, medical, psychological, or physical conditions that may interfere with their academic performance qualify for an academic support plan through the VCJH Student Support Center. We partner with parents and teachers to provide students with resources and strategies that most effectively address each student’s particular challenge(s).
- Annual development of a personalized academic support plan
- Periodic accountability check-ups, which include examination of current grades and communications with teachers and parents
- Special testing considerations for the SAT, and other standardized tests
- Accommodations and/or modifications to the curriculum when deemed appropriate
- Referrals to clinicians, tutors, and outside agencies specializing in learning differences
- Special scheduling consideration to facilitate off-site services as needed
The typical classroom accommodations we can provide are as follows:
- Extended time for long term assignments upon parental request prior to due date
- Extended testing time (excludes quizzes)
- Preferential seating
- Teacher/Peer Notes to obtain complete notes taken in class
- Alternative setting for testing
- Use of appropriate visual aids
We enable and encourage students to do their God-given best, following what the scripture says, “Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve” (Colossians 3:23-24). With the implementation of classroom accommodations, personalized learning strategies, and accountability check-ups, many of our students even qualify for honors classes and are encouraged to engage in self-advocacy early on in their middle school experience. The VCJH Student Support Center works closely with parents, faculty, administration, and any necessary outside resources to promote an optimum experience for each of our students — in order to prepare them for success in high school and beyond.